Whatever you’re saving for, certificates of deposit (CDs)—and by extension CD ladders—can be a smart investment. CDs traditionally offer the highest interest rates of government-insured savings products. Simply put, a CD ladder means investing in a series of CDs with escalating terms that keep your interest climbing.
Example of a CD ladder
- Open 5 CDs ranging from 1 year to 5 years
- When the 1-year CD matures, re-invest it into a 5-year CD
- When the 2-year CD matures, re-invest it into a 5-year CD
- Continue re-investing each original CD into a 5-year CD
Benefits of a CD Ladder
- Control: Decide how much money to invest in each CD and the timeframe for each CD based on your financial strategy and needs.
- Accessibility: Cash will be available at frequent, set intervals.
- Responsiveness: Take advantage of short-term interest rates by reinvesting proceeds from maturing CDs into newer ones with higher rates.
- Safety: If interest rates fall, a portion of your money will continue to be invested in long-term CDs that deliver higher rates.
This page and the information contained herein is for educational purposes only. The information is not intended to provide legal, investment, tax or financial advice or to indicate the availability or suitability of any product, service or strategy to your unique circumstances. For specific advice about your unique circumstances, you may wish to consult a qualified professional. Comenity Capital Bank and its affiliates (“Comenity”) assumes no liability for any loss or damage resulting from one’s reliance on the material provided. Any links to other websites are included for your convenience only. Comenity does not endorse any product or service and is not responsible for the accuracy or reliability of the information made available through such sites.